Friday, July 15, 2011

The Project | Scope of Work

 
Kitchen
New drywall on walls - the walls are and look thirty years old.  Plenty of holes and bad patch jobs.  One side of the kitchen had wall paper below a chair wall and previous owner used textured paint to cover the paper…and did a very poor job of it.  The cabinet side of the kitchen has tile back splash and found a bit of mold under the sink cabinet. 

New drywall over ceiling - the current ceiling is a "popcorn ceiling" through out the entire house. Oh, how I despise the look of this type of ceiling.  We are going to take this opportunity to do something about it.  We will first scrape the ceiling.  In a small test area that I have already done it came off clean and without damage to the current drywall.  If that is the same for the entire ceiling I wont cover it with the 1/4" drywall.  But I am prepared to do so.

New flooring - The previous owners through down some peel and stick vinyl squares over the old linoleum.  Those squares are now popping up on the corners and just have not withstood the last four years of wear and tear of my family.  I will be pulling both layers of flooring up.  In a bit of research I have found great layer of underlayment.  If the linoleum comes up well and all I have left is some sanding then I will keep it.  But I am prepared to put a new layer of underlayment down. 

We choose TrafficMaster Allure flooring for the Kitchen.  The ease of installation and resilient character of the floor…and the price were all factors.

New cabinets - I can list five things wrong with our kitchen cabinets but it was just past time for them to be replaced.  We spent three years dreaming of the cabinets we wanted and how we wanted our refinished kitchen but in the end we choose American Classic cabinets in a medium oak finish.  Pretty much your standard cabinet.  Price played a huge factor in this choice but I think we will be happy just not dealing with the old cabinets anymore.

New countertops and sink - We are still thinking through what countertop we want but are waiting to make that final decision after we get the flooring and cabinets in.

New dishwasher -  the old dishwasher has been out of commission for the last six months.  I think this one item is getting the most excitement from our kids, the current dishwashers.

New microwave oven - We will be installing the new microwave over our stove so it no longer takes countertop or floor space.

New trim work - ugh…I hate trim work. Its tedious and detailed.  Whose in to help me on this?

Living Room
Walk through between Living room and kitchen - we currently have a 'window' opening between the living room and kitchen.  We are going to pull out the bottom half to open up both rooms. 

New drywall on walls - again, same reason as the kitchen, the wall is worn.  If we are going through this much work in the kitchen and then opening up the living room I want it to look fresh.

New drywall over ceiling - and the same for the kitchen.  I love me some popcorn in the tummy…not on my ceiling.

New flooring - we will continue the TrafficMaster Allure flooring over the walk through and into the living room.

New trim work - I think I'll have a big trim party this day.  Seriously.

2 comments:

  1. Much respect to you!!! I'm anxious to see your finished product. And I will join your DISGUST for popcorn ceilings. I HATE them too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have popcorn ceilings! HATE. THEM.

    The best part is when you have damage to part of a popcorn ceiling....you have to replace that ceiling....then RE_POPCORN the ceiling! Grrrr!

    ReplyDelete